Wednesday, July 22, 2015

How to feed your husband all the meat he wants... Without clogging his arteries!

Okay, interwebs, I know some of you readers have that special someone in your life that would eat a hefty burger, paired with either a chicken or shrimp appetizer, and washed down with a drumstick for dessert. Several of us can relate that it is the man of our dreams, but you women aren't void of this! Honestly, I know there has been a time or two where I've realized no leafy anything or carbohydrate goodness danced across my plate. All. About. That. Meat. But let's be real, our digestive systems need a break from such a harsh meal to process and pass. "Meat sweats," isn't a term for nothing, okay? My husband is the type of man who loves 98% of food on the Earth, but always has a way of leaning towards a thick cut of meat. If he doesn't order some type of steak and seafood combo when we go out to eat, I'm nervous! I like to indulge him in his favorite foods, while taming my heart attacks that he might pass out while cutting the grass. My trick? Smaller portions! Just like what I preach any other time. He likes steak- we lean more toward deer than beef (leaner cut of meat so less artery clogging fattiness!). He likes bacon- I intentionally do grocery shopping and limit the amount of times in one month that he buys regular bacon over turkey... or lecture him endlessly ;) The point is, whether you are a woman like me, chasing fitness goals, or a naturally slender man like my husband who could eat his own weight in meats, portion control is EVERYTHING. Live life, enjoy it, enjoy good food... but stick around long enough to do that, okay!!! Tonight, I'll be having a delicious shrimp and spinach salad (check out my Instagram page for a photo of that later- @leehergyfit). My husband will be grilling chicken for my food prep this week, so I treated him and made some prosciutto-wrapped asparagus! Not a very lean meat, very salty, but... IT'S DELICIOUS! And with only 4 nicely shaved pieces wrapped around an amazing vegetable, you won't hear this wifey nagging her husband. I lightly tossed the asparagus in a pinch of olive oil. Then I wrapped them in the prosciutto and sprinkled with some freshly ground pepper. Knowing my man, I will also be making a foil pouch of onions, garlic cloves, and olive oil to toss on the grill as well.
Ladies and gents who are catering to your significant others' needs for all the meats: Food and life should be about balance. GIVE IT TO THEM! If I weren't in competition mode, we would have a scheduled hot wing date night every week. Because chicken and hot sauce. Or pizza- that stuff is heavenly. Know your boundaries; if one night a week is too much for you to stay on track, what about one night a month? What about for a celebration after a big test or paying something off? Find the right way to enjoy in moderation and do it! Your brain and your belly will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment